Residents can help clean up litter on Saturday during the annual California Coastal Cleanup Day.
People will gather at starting at 9 a.m.
They can also volunteer at one of the 30 organized locations throughout the county to remove cigarette butts, cans, bottles, plastic bags and any other debris that eventually ends up in the Bay and ocean.
“The storm drains whisk litter you see on the sidewalk to our waterways. Most storm drains don’t flow to a sewage treatment plant. They flow to our vulnerable waterways,” said Ana Clayton, San Mateo County cleanup day coordinator. “It’s important to remember that we need to do our part and keep trash and pollutants out of storm drains before they reach the ocean and Bay.”
Last year, volunteers collected about 42,000 pounds of trash in San Mateo County, according to the San Mateo County Health System.
The county urges volunteers to bring their own bags or buckets to collect trash, as well as gloves and a water bottle.
Coastal cleanup participants may join a “Pollution Solution Team” during the 27th annual Coastal Cleanup Day. The team vouches to continue picking up litter throughout the year.
For more information about the San Mateo Countywide Water Pollution Prevention Program or cleanup sites within San Mateo County, visit www.flowstobay.org/ccd or call (650) 372-6214. For information on statewide locations and this year’s corporate sponsors, visit the California Coastal Commission at www.coast4u.org.
Bayside and Inland Locations
- Belmont Creek: One Twin Pines Lane, City Hall Area. Located mid block behind Safeway. Volunteers will be sent out to various locations within the City.
- Brisbane Lagoon: Meet at Fisherman’s Park. From 101 N. exit Bayshore/Cow Palace. Turn Right on Tunnel Av.(2nd stop light). Right on Lagoon Rd. (next stop sign). Right on Serra Point Pkwy (next stop sign). Approx 500 meters down on right side. From 101 S. exit Sierra Point Pkwy, go through stop sign and park is on right hand side.
- Burlingame Bayfront: Meet at Fisherman’s Wharf, behind Embassy Suites - 150 Anza Blvd. Burlingame Bayfront Trail: Meet behind El Torito. 1590 Bayshore Highway.
East Palo Alto
- San Francisquito Creek: Meet on the corner of Manhatten Ave. & Woodland Rd.
- Bedwell Bayfront Park: Meet at the first parking lot. The park is located at the East side of Hwy 101 off Marsh Road and Bayfront Expressway.
- San Francisquito Creek: Meet on the corner of Alma St. and East Creek Drive. This site is not appropriate for participants under 16 years of age.
- Central Park: Meet at Central Park, at the intersection of Palm and Landsdale; between Richmond Dr. and Taylor Blvd. Volunteers will be sent out to various locations within the City.
- Various Redwood City Locations: 8:30am-noon. Meet at Public Works Services- 1400 Broadway (on the corner of Woodside Road and Broadway). BBQ at noon for all participants.
- Cordilleras Creek: Meet in front of Redwood High: 1968 Old County Road, Redwood City
- San Mateo Bayfront (Ryder Park): 7:30 am to noon. Meet at Ryder Park- 1801 J Hart Clinton Drive. From Hwy 101, take 3rd Ave East, follow signs to parking. BBQ, Entertainment, Prizes!
- Coyote Point State Park: Meet at Coyote Point Park - 1700 Coyote Point Drive. Signs shall be posted directing volunteers to the registration area.
South San Francisco
- Colma Creek: Meet at 180 Utah Avenue in South San Francisco. Park along the street next to 180 Utah Ave on the SW corner of Utah Ave and Harbor Way in South San Francisco.
- South San Francisco Cleanup: Meet at Bayfront Trail at the end of Haskins Way, South San Francisco. Cross street is East Grand Ave.
- Thornton State Beach: Hwy 280 exit John Daly Blvd. west, right on Skyline Blvd., left on Olympic Way to Stables parking lot.
- Mirada Surf West: Cleanup the bluff and Surfers Beach at Mirada West in El Granada. Meet at the west side of Highway 1 at the intersection of Coronado & Highway 1.
Half Moon Bay
- Pilarcitos Creek: Meet in the Odwalla parking lot: 120 Stone Pine.
- Poplar State Beach: Located a half-mile west of Hwy 1 at the end of Poplar Ave. Off Hwy 1, just south of Half Moon Bay State Beach. Parking available at the bluff top parking lot.
- Francis State Beach: From Highway 1, turn west on Kelly Ave (south of Highway 92). Park in Francis State Beach parking lot.
- Purisima Creek Redwoods Open Space Preserve: Meet at Purisima Creek Redwoods OSP North Ridge Parking Lot. Gate PCO1. Volunteers will remove invasive, non-native Ivy along the scenic Whittemore Gulch Trail in the Purisima Creek Watershed. Age limit: 14+ Registration required (flowstobay.org/ccd), maximum number of volunteers needed 15.
- Montara State Beach: Meet in the Northern Parking lot of Montara State Beach (not the Outrigger). A cleanup crew will also be sent to Grey Whale Cove.
- San Pedro Creek Watershed: Meet at the north end of Pedro Point shopping center just south of Taco Bell off Hwy 1.
- Manor Bluff: Take Manor Drive west to the ocean. Meet in front of the Pacifica Post Office.
- Sharp Park: Meet at the start of the levee near the picnic tables on Beach Blvd at Clarendon just south of the Pacifica Pier.
- Linda Mar/Pacifica State Beach: Meet at the south end of Linda Mar State Beach parking lot near Taco Bell.
- Rockaway: Hwy1 to Rockaway Blvd, turn west to go to the end of the street. Meet by Nicks Restaurant.
*Celebration at noon for all Pacifica volunteers.
- Pescadero State Beach: Off Hwy 1. Meet at the beach's northern parking lot.
- Gazos Beach: Hwy 1, about 20 miles south of the Highway 92 and Highway 1 intersection in HMB. Near the restaurant Gazos Grill.
- San Gregorio State Beach: Hwy 1 at Hwy 84 intersection. Meet in large parking lot - free parking for volunteers.